Wonders of Meknes, Moulay Idriss and Volubilis: daytrip from Fes
This day-long excursion takes you beyond Fes to Meknes, Moulay Idriss, and the Roman ruins at Volubilis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The driving distances are short, maximising the time you can spend exploring these fabulous historical sites.
Wonders of Meknes, Moulay Idriss and Volubilis
Your Sahara Atlas Tours driver-guide will collect you from your hotel in Fes after breakfast. First, we drive through vineyards to reach the Imperial City of Meknes. You can explore this relaxing city for around three hours – some unmissable sights include Moulay Ismail’s shrine, his stables (for 12,000 horses!), the Place el-Hedim and the spacious souks (markets). After lunch, we drive 30km to Moulay Idriss, set on a hillside. This is one of the most important pilgrimage sites and spiritual centres of Morocco. Its many small streets give onto wonderful views of the surrounding valley and the Roman site of Volubilis. We then have a short drive to Volubilis, with excellent photo opportunities on the way. This is the most extensive and well-preserved Roman site in Morocco, famous for its brilliant mosaic floors, and you can explore it on your own or take a guided tour if you wish. It also has lovely views of the Rif Mountains. We return to your hotel in Fes in the late afternoon.
What will be included in our price quote:
- fully private tour
- collection from and drop-off at your hotel in Fes at the start and end of the tour
- all travel in comfortable air-conditioned 4×4 Toyota Landcruiser or equivalent, fully licensed and insured for tourist transport, including fuel
- services of an experienced local driver-guide (speaks English or Spanish, French, Arabic, Berber)
Not included in the price:
- lunches and drinks
- entrance fees to heritage sites (usually around 50Dh-70Dh per person)
- local fee for optional guided tour of Volubilis
- tips (if you choose to give them)