Morocco’s currency is the Dirham (Dh or MAD). It’s useful to know something about currency exchange for the Dirham before you come on your tour.
The Moroccan Dirham is linked to the euro, and usually the rate of exchange is between 10 and 11 Dh to 1€. The currency cannot be bought outside of Morocco, so when you arrive, you’ll have to change money or withdraw it from an ATM. It’s best to avoid changing money at the airport, or to change only a small amount – you will get a very poor rate of exchange. Moroccan banks typically offer a standard rate of exchange – remember to take your passport with you for ID. Also remember to notify your own bank before your travel that you will be in Morocco and give them the dates of your trip, or your bank cards may not work abroad.
- Banks usually open 8.30-12.00 and 13.30-15.00 or 14.30-16.00 Monday-Thursday, and 8.30-12.00 on Fridays (closed on Friday afternoons). Opening times are also restricted during the month of Ramadan.
- Check with your Sahara Atlas Tours driver-guide if banks will be closed for public holidays while you are here.
- Cashpoints are available in most towns throughout Morocco
- In the large cities, foreign currency can be changed at ATMs
- If changing travellers’ cheques, you must present your passport and the receipt from your original purchase of the cheques
- Credit cards are only accepted in more expensive hotels, shops and restaurants in large cities, and in petrol stations, but rarely elsewhere
- US dollars, euros, and pounds sterling are often accepted by hotels and excursion operators – check their exchange rate
At Sahara Atlas Tours, we offer you the choice of paying the balance for your booking by cash or credit card when your tour starts (we are sorry we cannot take credit card payments online or by phone). If you prefer to pay by cash, we accept euros, US dollars, pounds sterling, or Moroccan Dirhams. If you are not paying in euros, our Sahara Atlas Tours driver-guide will calculate the amount according to the standard bank exchange rate on the day of your payment.